Monday, March 16, 2009

Keeping the Sabbath Holy??

Ok, I'm here and I'm hi speed!! But really, let's not get carried away, its stil ME :). So I have been thinking about Deut. 4 (or so, can't get up to check) where God tells the hebrews to obey His commands, but not to add anything to them or take anything away. I thought how well He knows us in that reminder. He knows how prone we are to become like Pharisees and add a ton of stuff to His commands, or to just do things our own way, not obeying at all, or maybe only w/ partial obedience. But then He shortly goes on to give the ten commandments. In them, the Sabbath day really grabbed my attention. I've been working on this a lot. God said we are to do ALL our work in 6 days, and the 7th day is a sabbath TO THE LORD. Not a day to poo poo free of toil, the day was set aside and made holy (Gen.) for Him. Why havent' I noticed this before? He gives us 6 days for our work and only commands we dedicate 1 to Him. So I've been hashing this out for how this will look in my own life. I also wonder why this isn't emphasized more often. We are all over the other 9 commandments (well, honor your parents is iffy too...) but this one we (I'm really saying we to tell you of my own mindset, I just don't want to be alone in this, so I am hoping there are others in my boat :) )just consider out of date or something. We go to church on Sunday, but what does the rest of the day look like? Is it really a sabbath TO the Lord?? Any thoughts on this?

- Sonia :)

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say hi to everyone and see how you all are doing in your Bible reading! I'm going slow but steady :).

    ReplyDelete