Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A case of doubt or longing for the known?

(2/4/09)***MAN, I wrote this a week ago and did not come back to edit it and get it up...sorry! :) I am working on my February assignment right now...but until then, here you go. hope you can remember way back to Genesis :) - T

I am way behind in my reading. I just finished the book that I was reading and am not going to start another one until I get back on track with my Bible reading. So, sorry if this is something that you read weeks ago....I just could not go on until this was posted. I was really convicted and moved by my reading last night.

In Chapter 19 of Genesis the angels enter the town of Gomorrah and allow Lot, his wife and their daughters to leave the town before it is destroyed. The first think I noticed was that the angels had to grab Lots hands and physically help him in order to get him to actually leave.(v.16) Though it seems that he did not agree with the state of the town it was amazing that even on the brink of destruction it was hard for him to actually take the steps needed to removed himself from the comfort of the known. This is so understandable but from the outside looking in, I say "what are you doing? Why are you not running away the first chance you get?"....but if I were to make this a more personal application, what do I know is not what I should be doing with my life or my time or my finances but I just can't bring myself to make that uncomfortable move to a safer place.

Along these same lines, I was struck by Lot's wife turning to salt because she turned and looked back after the angels had lead them away (v.26)AND after the clear warning NOT to look back. I asked myself why? Why did she do this? Why would she look back and that is the question I am going to open up to all. Did she doubt the truth and the extreme nature of the situation? Did she have second thoughts because just as Lot had trouble leaving the comfort of the known was this her moment of second thoughts? Whats she one of them at heart and this action proved it? What do you thing? Please share! :)

-T

1 comment:

  1. So, I am jumping in late but think I would love to try and read with all of you. I agree that reading scripture and being able to talk about it and see what it is doing in others lives. It is one of the great joys that comes with reading God's Word!! Great blog T. Glad to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete